Baby finger food: Potato, Cheese and Veggies Bun
Let me introduce a cool baby product from Japan: freeze dried baby food ingredients.
A baby food company Wako-Do offers varieties of freeze dried, pureed fresh food such as liver+veggies (left), cod (middle) and spinach (right) in a small cube size. To prepare, just dissolve with a tea spoon of hot water per cube. This helps to make varieties of baby dishes with balanced nutrition.
This is a recipe created by a Japanese mom:
Potato, Cheese and Veggies Bun.
One of the award winning recipes in the Wako-do baby food recipe competition
- 1 Middle sized potato
- 1/3 of middle sized carrot
- 4-5 leaves of baby spinach (instead, I used the freeze dried spinach cubes)
- 4 table spoons of corn flour (or potato flour)
- 1 table spoon of plain flour
- 2 table spoons of cheese (I used Halloumi)
- 1 table spoon of parmesan cheese
1. Boil the carrot (and spinach) into tender then cut them and the cheese into small pieces.
2. Slice the potato into 1cm and put into a pan. Fill the water till it covers the potato then heat up.
3. Once they get tender, drain the water and keep heating for 30 seconds to reduce the extra moisture.
4. Mush the potato and knead with your hand as well as the flours and two different types of cheese till the dough became tender and smooth like earlobe (it'll take only 30-40 seconds).
5. Split the dough into two and mix with the spinach and the carrot respectively.
6. Divide the each dough into 3-6 pieces and roll up into a round shape. Place them over a baking sheet while heat up the oven into 180C.
7. Cook the buns for 15-20 mins to serve.
Total cost: 0.6 pound (40p for 1 baking potato, 20p for the rest of the stuff)
Total time to prepare: 35-40 mins