Fried plaice with yummy sauce and white asparagus with sweet-sour miso
(Dinner 27 June)
Fluffiness of deep-fried plaice became rich and deep dressed with the thickened yummy sauce. Miso was a new experiment for white asparagus. It was so fresh and delicious!
Fried plaice with yummy sauce
Ingredient for two: a large plaice without borne, 1 tablespoonful starch flower (for dusting), 3 tablespoonful vegetable oil, 1/3 carrot, 1/3 round onion, (if you have 1/3 paprika), 1.5 tablespoonful soy-sauce, 1 tablespoonful mirin (if not,1 teaspoonful sugar), 1 pinch of chilli and black pepper, 1/2 teaspoonful starch flower (for thickening).
- Cut a plaice into 6-7 pieces and put 1/2 teaspoonful salt and dust with starch flower
- Heat a large frying pan and add oil, heat it up for 4-5 mins and deep-fry the plaice that the skin is down
- After 3 mins turn over the each plaice and keep frying for another 2 mins. Once each piece got slightly brown and crispy edge, take it out from the oil and place it on the plate with a sheet of kitchen paper to remove out the extra oil
|While deep-frying the plaice, boiling asparagus, |
and cooking rice and miso soup
- Slice carrot, onion, and other veggies into thin string and put into a small pan
- Shimmer 1. in 1/2 cup of water with soy-sauce and sugar till they became tender or for 4 mins
- Put a teaspoonful starch into a small cup and dissolve with 3 tablespoonful water and add it to 2.
- Boil 3. to thicken
Put the deep-fried plaice on the dish and power the yummy sauce on the top. I added some boiled Okura for garnish but it was unnecessary.
White asparagus with sweet and sour miso
Ingredients for two: 5-6 pieces of asparagus (a half bunch), 2 teaspoonfuls miso, 1 teaspoonful white vinegar (white wine, cider, rice, etc.), 2 teaspoonful sugar
- Cut the bottom of asparagus 4-5cm from the end and peel from top to bottom with a peeler
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pan and cook the asparagus for 4 mins
- Cut the asparagus into 4cm
- Put all the sauce ingredient into a bowl and mix well, then add the asparagus to dress with the sauce
- Put them in a small ceramic bowl and add some chopped Shiso leave or flat parsley on the top
In addition, I made tofu with garlic and chinese chives (boil tofu in 1 cup of water with sliced garlic and salt, add some Chinese chive in the end). Also got some pea pod. Boiled in water for 3 mints and add to the cooked rice. It was the seasonal and very sweet and flavoury!! Today's miso soup ingredient was potato and enoki mushroom.
Total time for preparation: 50 mins
Total cost for two people: 4.20 pounds (1.30 for the plaice, 1.50 for white asparagus, 1.60 for tofu (1/2 for 3.19), 80p for pea pods and other veggies)